Skip to content

Cycle of Life

February 12, 2012

This past weekend was dedicated to wrapping up unfinished projects.  No, not MY projects. My 7 year olds unfinished projects.  We tackled the life cycle of a frog and built a derby car for the upcoming Cub Scout races.  While digging through my scrapbooking supplies, it left me questioning what parents of elementary kids do without hundreds of dollars in crafting supplies just lying around?  We are constantly digging through binders, drawers, pockets and stacks of paper to find the perfect supplies to fit whatever new project the teacher can come up with for this week. 

So, as my son and I headed to the basement we dug through stacks of paper to find the best greens for Tadpole, Froglet and finally Mr. Frog.  While digging, we found a bag of googly eyes which would be perfect for the eggs! The momentum picked after that exciting find and we quickly picked the best colors for our project.  I then decided it was time to break out the Cricut machine, this way there would be no freehand drawing on my part…thank God! We grabbed our treasures and headed to the kitchen table to create Mr. Frog.

We got out the Create-A-Critter cartridge to create Mr. Frog and possibly the froglet but we were at a loss on how to create the tadpole and the tadpole with legs.  Determined to not have to draw anything drove me to tap into my creative side even further.  On the Create A Critter cartridge there’s a dragonfly and I figured that I could make the dragonfly and cut the wings off.  We set the Cricut machine to cut at 2″ at medium pressure and pressed cut.


Next came the dilemma of the tadpole with legs.  This time we cut out 2 snakes from the Create A Critter and cut off the tails to glue them to the tadpole. These were also created at 2″ tall.


The froglet was next!  This was easy because we just created the frog from the Create A Critter and cut the size down to 1.5″.  We again cut out the dragon fly also at 1.5″ and cut off the bottom half to look like the tail.  My son then glued the tail on and froglet was created!


We then created the frog at 2″ and accessorized with a lily pad. 


The final steps of the project was to develop the letters.  We used the Don Juan font cartridge and my son typed in the letters in 1 3/4″ to create our title page.  My son then glued everything down and then labeled all of his critters. Using the Cricut machine was so easy that my son was able to do all of the steps by himself with minimal supervision. The project came out looking clean cut and mom didn’t have to do any freehand drawing.

Supplies Used

~ Kim

Advertisements
3 Comments leave one →
  1. Diane permalink
    February 13, 2012 7:31 am

    Very clever and nice job Ryleigh and Mom. It looks very cute.

    • Kim permalink
      February 13, 2012 8:03 am

      Thanks, we had fun making it!

  2. February 13, 2012 9:41 am

    Now THAT is something I wouldn’t be able to figure out. 😉

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: